Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Suddenly, week 4?

Surprise!
Hi! So, I guess since BYU's term ended, they changed all our schedules? Actually I'm not really sure why they did it. (Especially because they moved all our meals and classes up a half hour- breakfast at 6:30, class at 7, and dinner at FOUR O'CLOCK). But our schedule changed so we have P-day on Tuesdays now- so even though it was just on Friday, we get it again today!
Actually it kind of feels like a lot has happened in the past 3 days. On Friday we met our new teacher, Irmão Whitaker. He is an amazing teacher. We leave class, even the 6:30-9:30 p.m. class, feeling totally pumped and energized. And since he served in Lisboa, we get to hear about that. You can tell he really cares a lot about his students.
On Saturday, we had TRC again. It went WAY better. We did two 20-minute lessons about recieving answers to prayers. The first one we did was with a nice man and his 8-year-old son. The guy served in Lisbon, his wife is from Lisbon, and the family just moved back here from living in Portugal for 5 years, so they were both perfectly fluent. It was kind of frustrating to see a little kid speak way better than we can even imagine, but they were both really nice and we had a good discussion. The man even got a little teary-eyed when we bore our testimony of God's love for His children and how He wants to hear from us. But even better, when we went to the next room for the 2nd lesson, it was the wife from the family! She was really nice. She prayed in Portuguese and her accent was so cool. Also, after we were done with the lesson, she talked to us for like 5 minutes (in English) about Lisbon and her family there. All three of them were really kind and helped us a lot with the Portuguese. It made me really excited to go to Lisbon and teach whole families (I hope).
Relief Society this week was great. So Relief Society is basically just an extra devotional for all the sisters on Sunday morning, and they always have a speaker instead of a usual lesson. This week is was the new General Young Women's President. She shared a nice message about sister missionaries. Some of her granddaughters and daughters came, and she told her 4 granddaughters (all young teenagers) to stand up and look around, and "remember this sight, because this is what it looks like when a prophet of God calls, and the young women answer". She probably wants them to go on missions, haha. Also really cool was afterwards, we got to go meet her and her counselors! So I've hugged 3 general authorities now. No big deal. I think I liked talking to the 1st counselor the most - two of her sons went to Portugal on their missions, so we talked about that for the few moments we had with her.
Yesterday was one of the hardest days I've had since I've been here. On Sunday night in the devotional the speaker Brother Allen? (the director of the missionary department) talked about how Satan is going to "push your buttons" and yesterday that's what happened. I think it was because I realized I will be in Portugal in TWO WEEKS, so I was starting to freak out, so Satan was like "haha, kick her while she's down". But really. I think he really doesn't want me to go to Portugal--but he and I both know I am going--so since he can't stop me he's trying to make me as miserable as possible. I just was really worried and anxious and felt sick. But my district is really great and we all talked for about an hour last night just about that and a bunch of gospel stuff. And going to the temple this morning was exactly what I needed. It was so peaceful. And I feel better. I'm still really worried, but not to the point of not being able to eat or anything.
It's kind of weird-I knew a mission would be hard, but I didn't expect the MTC to be hard. Like maybe some frustration with learning, but not so much opposition still. I guess it just goes to show how important missionaries are to the Lord, if Satan is trying so hard to stop us. I wish he'd just leave me alone though :P
Also, in case you were wondering, the temple has the best waffles I've ever tasted. We are sick of the food here so we ate breakfast there this morning and it was heavenly.
Oh- did Katy and Emily get those tiny letters I sent them?? Because those were the cutest things ever.
Since it's only been 3 days that's about all I have to say. I will probably have my travel plans the next time I email you!!! It's getting really real. And scary. Keep praying for me. :) I think of you all often and I love you so much!
Love,
Sister Gidney

No comments:

Post a Comment